Google Voice is a great way to save time and maintain anonymity when making phone calls. It allows you to access phone numbers to call by just copying and pasting the numbers when you are using your computer or your mobile device. This eliminates having to enter the phone number manually.
Also, Google Voice allows you to make calls from a number other than your own. Hence your personal phone number does not show up when you make calls to other people.
Google Voice is free, easy to use, and easy to set up once you have a Google account.
Follow the steps below to set up your Google Voice capability for your computer or your phone.
Computer Setup for Google Voice
1. Set up Google Voice
- Go to the Google Voice website: https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup
- The system prompts you to select the device you want to use – Click Web.
- Accept Google Voice terms and conditions – Click Continue.
- Google will ask you to select the city or area code you want to use for your calling – type in and click Select. You can select one of the numbers that matches your region.
- You will be asked to Verify with your existing phone number – click Verify
- You will be asked to enter the phone number that calls will be forwarded to – enter Your phone number.
- Google Voice will send a text message with a 6 digit code – click Send code.
- Enter the code texted to you and click Verify.
- Click Finish.
- Your Google Voice number is now successfully linked to your phone number and you can use Google Voice to call through your computer.
Mobile Device Setup for Google Voice
1. Set up Google Voice
- Search for the Google Voice app in the App Store and download it for free.
- Open the app and sign into your Google account.
- Accept the terms and conditions. Click Continue.
- Enter the area code or city your want for your new phone number. Click Select.
- Choose a Google Voice number.
- Follow the prompts to finish set up and following steps based on IOS or Android.
- Your Google Voice number is now successfully linked to your phone number and you can use Google Voice to call on your mobile device.
- You need a paid phone number to use Google Voice either on your computer or your phone.
- Google Voice provides Messages, Voicemails and all other phone capabilities.
- Use the Google Voice settings menu to block numbers, send them to voicemail and many other capabilities.
- On a computer, you copy the phone number to be called from the spreadsheet to the Google Voice ‘Enter a name or number field’ and then click the phone to dial.