Lead a Voter Drive in California!
Join Field Team 6 in registering voters in California! This election season, every vote counts, and you can make a difference in the midterms by registering voters in your state.
Hosting your own voter drive is easier than you might think with these simple training materials and links to state-specific resources. California is one of ten states in which we are rallying volunteers like you to conduct voter drives.
Thank you for helping save the world!
Expand the steps below, or use the California Voter Drive in a Box.
Questions? Contact helpmydrive@FieldTeam6.org.
1. Get started
Find information to train your volunteers at the beginning of your drive.
- Option 1: Watch videos:
- Option 2: Sign up for a live California training call, if available.
- Option 3: Read the manual: How to Register Democrats in Person, the Field Team 6 Way
2. Get prepared
- Pick a location: the best are community colleges, courthouses, or big libraries. For help, use our Hot Spots Directory. If your area is not listed, contact us!
- Add your drive to our Mobilize calendar. (Weekdays are best!)
- Pick up more than enough voter forms from your nearest County Election Official.
- Print out a Sign-up Sheet for each clipboard.
- Print a brief for your target district (for each clipboard):
- Prep clipboards with a brief, sign-up sheet, 8 voter forms, and stickers if you got ‘em.
3. Run the drive
- Train your volunteers in about 15 minutes, using what you have learned. This printable Training Cheat Sheet has every point you need to hit!
- Review how to register Democrats using your state’s paper forms and clipboards, or with Voterizer.org/field.
- Take a group photo. Post it on social media with the #Voterizer and #RegisterDemocrats or @FieldTeam_6 (Twitter) to spread the love!
- Assign everyone their hot spot, and let them know when to regroup, usually 2 hours later. Ideally, send out groups of 2-5, pairing up newbies with seasoned pros.
Let’s go register some Democrats!
4. After the drive
- Collect all completed voter forms and sign-up sheets. Mail voter forms to your County Recorder (address is on the back of the form) within 24 hours to be safe! (You have 5 days, legally.)
- Sign up volunteers for your next voter drive or other FT6 volunteer opportunities!
- Take pictures of each sign-up sheet. Send those and your group photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete a tiny Post-Drive Questionnaire! We need to know how it went!
Thank you for your efforts in getting out the vote!