Lead a Voter Drive in Virginia!
Join Field Team 6 in registering voters in Virginia! This election season, every vote counts, and you can make a difference in the midterms by registering voters in your state.
Hosting your own voter drive is easier than you might think with these simple training materials and links to state-specific resources. Virginia is one of ten states in which we are rallying volunteers like you to conduct voter drives.
Thank you for helping save the world!
Expand the steps below, or use the Virginia Voter Drive in a Box.
Questions? Contact helpmydrive@FieldTeam6.org
1. Get started
Find information to train your volunteers at the beginning of your drive.
- Watch the videos:
- Fill out the required Registration Drive Sworn Affidavit and Application.
- Review the Slides: Center for Common Ground’s Virginia 3rd Party Voter Registration
- Read the Manual: How to Register Democrats in Person, the Field Team 6 Way
You can also attend a live training (not specific to VA).
2. Get prepared
- Pick a location:
- If you are participating in a 2 or 3 touch postcard campaign, you will be going door-to-door.
- If you are running an in-person drive, choose a well-trafficked location like a community college, courthouse, library, grocery store, or Walmart, for example.
- Add your drive to our Mobilize calendar. Weekdays are best!
- Gather clipboards, black pens, stickers, and Covid-safe materials as needed.
- Pick up more than enough voter forms from your nearest Voter Registration Office.
- Print out a sign-up sheet and a Virginia Brief for each clipboard.
Prep clipboards with a brief, sign-up sheet, 8 voter forms, and stickers if you got ‘em.
3. Run the drive
- Train your volunteers in about 15 minutes, using what you have learned. This printable Training Cheat Sheet has every point you need to hit!
- Review how to register Democrats using your state’s paper forms and clipboards, or with Voterizer.org/field.
- Take a group photo. Post it on social media with the #Voterizer and #RegisterDemocrats or @FieldTeam_6 (Twitter) to spread the love!
- Assign everyone their hot spot, and let them know when to regroup, usually 2 hours later. Ideally, send out groups of 2-5, pairing up newbies with seasoned pros.
Let’s go register some Democrats!
4. After the drive
- Collect all completed voter forms and sign-up sheets. Mail voter forms to your County Recorder (address is on the back of the form) within 24 hours to be safe! (You have 5 days, legally.)
- Sign up volunteers for your next voter drive or other FT6 volunteer opportunities!
- Take pictures of each Sign-up Sheet. Send those and your group photo to email@example.com.
- Complete a tiny Post-Drive Questionnaire! We need to know how it went!
Thank you for your efforts in getting out the vote!